Sunday, April 10, 2022

The Mist

One evening, as I made my way
Through city streets that homeward led,
There rose a thick and shadowed mist
That filled my very soul with dread.

It shrouded all the lamps that shone
Like beacons in the twilight sea,
And blotted out the stars above
Which do the fate of men decree.

About my feet and face it curled
And lay there like a clammy snake.
I could not run, nor walk, nor move,
Nor yet a cry or whisper make.

Within my heart was kindled fear
That chilled my blood and made it freeze.
Into my head came horrid thoughts
That limped my hands and shook my knees.

Then to the earth I stumbled, stunned,
As though the mist had dragged me down
With fingers withered, old, and grey,
Draped in a drab and dripping gown.

From deep within my tortured self
Arose a thin and wailing cry
That pierced the mist, drove back the gloom,
And rose up to the starry sky.

Then, stumbling on, I forward fled
And pelted down the stony street,
In constant fear that once again
The mist would grasp and mesh my feet.

Across the threshold of my home
I hurtled like a river's tide.
A match I struck, a candle lit,
And stood within its light and sighed.

Then from without my sturdy house
There came an answ'ring sigh, as though
The mist was saying: "Just this once,
O fated man, I let you go."

T. G. 4/10/22

No comments:

Post a Comment